On September 16, 1899, an organizational meeting was held for the purpose of forming a Missionary Baptist Church in the Corinth Community. At the time of this meeting, eighteen people presented letters for membership. A church body was established and the group adopted the name of “Corinth”. Reverend HW Head was called as pastor of this newly formed congregation. He served as pastor until July 1905.
God’s blessing was surely upon this group of people as they moved forward in His work. An acre of land was purchased from JM Foster for the purpose of building a school/church building. Some nine months later, this little congregation moved into the newly constructed building. In 1916, the need arose for an addition to be made to the facility. The church body began to grow and in January 1923 more land was purchased from WA Dunwoody for ten dollars. A new and larger church was erected for $4,500 and dedicated in 1924. Also, a $350 Delco light plant was installed. In 1964, 1974, 1988, 1996 and 2007, new additions or remodels took place resulting in the current fellowship hall, pastorium and new sanctuary. The church moved into the current building in September 2009.
Over the years, God has placed many great pastors as well as scores of dedicated believers in positions of leadership at Corinth Baptist Church. The gospel message has echoed within its walls since the beginning and countless numbers have found their way to Christ through the ministries of this Church.
On July 5, 2015, a fire started in the kitchen. Within 30 minutes, the entire building was destroyed. The church settled with the insurance company in March 2017. The new sanctuary is now being rebuilt.
Corinth Baptist Church 2524 Corinth Road LaFayette, GA 30728 706-638-3963